WASHINGTON – U.S. Senators Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) and Mike Lee (R-UT), Chairwoman and Ranking Member of the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Competition Policy, Antitrust, and Consumer Rights, announced the witness list for the Subcommittee’s hearing on app stores and mobile app competition, titled “Antitrust Applied: Examining Competition in App Stores.” The hearing will be held this Wednesday, April 21, 2021.
Witnesses will include:
- Kyle Andeer – Chief Compliance Officer, Apple
- Wilson White – Senior Director on the Government Affairs & Public Policy, Google
- Dr. Mark Cooper – Director of Research, Consumer Federation of America
- Horacio Gutierrez – Head of Global Affairs & Chief Legal Officer, Spotify
- Kirsten Daru – General Counsel, Tile
- Jared Sine – Chief Legal Officer & Secretary, Match Group
Consumers rely on mobile applications to access online content and services, and the vast majority of apps are downloaded from either Apple’s App Store or Google’s Play Store. Wednesday’s hearing will focus on the impact of Apple’s and Google’s power over the cost, distribution, and availability of mobile applications on consumers, app developers, and competition.
Earlier this month, Klobuchar and Lee sent a letter criticizing Apple’s initial decision to withhold witnesses from testifying, asking Apple CEO Tim Cook to reverse course. Just two days later, Apple agreed to participate in the hearing.
# # #